Tuesday, July 17, 2012

When conservatives say stupid things...

It drives me up a wall when I hear liberal commentators say idiotic generalizations about Republicans, tea-party members or conservatives in general, but what makes me even more crazy is when I see a fellow conservative make just as idiotic of a statement.  This weekend, one of my favorite conservative commentators, Michelle Malkin, did just that.  On Fox News, Ms. Malkin was drawing a comparison between Mitt Romney and his supporters and President Obama and his supporters.  Her purpose was to talk about which of the two candidates is "qualified" to handle the economy.  Ms. Malkin said this...

"The Romney types, of course, are the ones who sign the front of the paycheck, and the Obama types are the one who have spent their entire lives signing the back of them."
With all due respect to Michelle Malkin, this statement was just plain WRONG!  I understand the comparison she was trying to draw between the candidates.  I hope that she was trying to draw a comparison between people like the President who have spent most of their lives promoting government control over the economy and those such as Mitt Romney who have been in the private sector creating jobs.  Unfortunately, her comment ended up as a comparison between job creators and those who work for someone else.

Stooping to the level of class warfare is, in my opinion, never acceptable from a conservative.  So many people spend their time trying to paint conservatives as "elitist" or "rich" or whatever else, and when prominent conservatives make statements like this, it just feeds that stereotype.  The fact is, there are people on BOTH sides of the political spectrum who sign the front of the paychecks and I can guarantee that there are just as many conservatives as there are liberals who have spent their entire lives signing the backs of paychecks. (Personally, I have spent more time signing backs than fronts!)

No comments:

Post a Comment