Saturday, July 14, 2012

U.N. Treaty Is a Real Threat

Recently, I have been seeing several "articles" in conservative publications going on about the United Nations' Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) and how dangerous it is.  I have held off writing anything about the treaty simply because too many of the articles I had read contained very little in the way of facts.  Most of the articles just simply rattled on about how the treaty was a U.N. plot to usurp the Constitution and take away our 2nd Amendment rights without detailing at all what was so nefarious about the treaty.

Please make no mistake - I am not a huge fan of the U.N. and I am a very strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment; however, I don't willingly see a "new world order" plot around every corner either.  So I embarked on a bit of research myself.  What I found, unfortunately, has backed up the alarm cries that I have heard so far.  If the U.S. were to ratify the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty, it could have very serious implications for our 2nd Amendment rights.

The ATT seems innocuous on its face.  It purports to be an “International Arms Control Treaty” to fight against “terrorism,” “insurgency” and “international crime syndicates.”  All of these are very laudable goals that deserve our support.  Unfortunately, when you read more information about the treaty and the underlying ideas behind it, the treaty definitely is NOT so "laudable."

Just a few of the reasons I see this treaty as a danger to U.S. interests:

1)  It could very possibly prevent us from aiding our allies such as Taiwan and Israel
2) The treaty supporters have been very open about pushing for domestic enforcement of the "international" regulations - meaning giving the U.N. full information on domestic gun ownership in the United States and member nations.
3) Supporters of the treaty have made it quite clear leading up to this conference that they believe governments have a legitimate reason to own arms, but private citizens do not.


There are a number of other reasons to oppose this treaty, but as opposed to re-stating all of the reasons, I will just post a couple links to the better articles I have read on it.....

Heritage Foundation Blog Article 

Heritage Foundation WebMemo 

Fox News 

The New American 

No comments:

Post a Comment